SWAT4LS2009 – Barend Mons: The meta-analysed semantic web, getting rid of ambiguity and redundancy
November 20, 2009 1 Comment
Introducing Concept Wiki – a semantic wiki and insulting his audience repeatedly.
Problems with getting the community to do annotation:
- everybody wants structured data, but nobody wants to do structured data entry. Not working.
- Everybody likes free text and cut and paste.
Now shows suggestion of ontology terms in authoring tools for introduction of structure in unstructured data.
Now talking about redundancy? Is it a problem? His point:
- no reviewer would accept the exact same paper twice let alone several times
- But same assertions are published over and over
- Oh dear – hopeless confusion between names, people, identifiers etc…..they are all “concepts” according to Barend Mons.
- The “essence of a nanopublication” is an annotated triple…i.e an assertion together with metadata about it (provenance, time etc…)
- Now points out that human language grammer is kind of similar to triples….subject predicate object…
- An assertion should only be accepted if it has value and advances human knowledge. The mind boggles….who decides what is interesting when….
- Triples vs “smart triples” apparently “smart triples” are curated/observed/hypothetical
Mentions deposit of ChemSpider Content into concept wiki.
Now shows some screenshots of use cases.